ILS hold a donations bank account specifically for our clients who are experiencing financial difficulties.
In 2018 we provided financial support to over 90 people; mostly for gas and electricity top ups for those in homeless accommodations, which are particularly hard to heat.
We have helped relieve other financial pressures; such as
- travel costs to attend medical appointments
- travel costs for a parent to get their child to school when they have been housed in temporary accommodation on the other side of the town
- the cost of birth certificates to provide a form of identification to start a college course and to move into employment
- the provision of cheap mobile phones for people who have no other means of communicating with their support network
- suitable clothing for funerals, interviews or starting
For most of our clients money is extremely tight and with the roll out of Universal Credit this year, we have seen an increase in financial struggles and an unprecedented demand on our housing support service.
Homelessness can affect anyone and we see the financial difficulties facing people released from prisons, hospitals and those whose personal circumstances have led to housing instability.
Many older people donate their winter fuel payments to us and we are extremely grateful for the support received from the good people of Dumfries and Galloway.
All the money donated is retained in Dumfries and Galloway and is solely utilised by our clients.
Our office is open Monday to Friday 10.00 am to 4.00 pm to accept donations or can be sent to ILS, 8 George Street Meuse, Dumfries, DG1 1HH.